What Parents are Saying
“Why Seashore Academy? There are many reasons why we sent our daughter there: small class size, she’s learning Chinese and a bit of Spanish, the school fosters learning a variety of subjects, independence is encouraged in the classroom…. I could go on and on! After a free trial class offered by Marlene, our daughter asked if she could go back again. My wife and I were open to the idea of making a change, but we wanted to make sure our daughter understood the circumstances. This meant leaving her friends and a school she was extremely happy in, to a school where new relationships and procedures will need to be formed. Our daughter had no problem with it, which led us to believe there must be something about Seashore. So we made the leap and enrolled her
“My daughter went to public schools when we first came to the United States. As a mom, I was very worried to see her not making any progress. So, my friend introduced me to Seashore Academy. Within a year, I was amazed to see my daughter making learning progress and becoming more comfortable with sharing her ideas. Thanks to the small class size, my daughter gets more attention from teachers, and teachers are better able to understand her needs. She loves going to school here because she’s able to connect more closely with her peers- all of her classmates are her best friends!”
“Seashore has been an amazing experience for our family. Our kids (twins) are learning and growing at a pace I didn’t know was possible. Last week my
“My husband and I are both trilingual. I was born in Italy and speak both Italian and Spanish fluently. My husband is a Harvard trained pediatrician and hospital specialist. He grew up speaking Mandarin
“I’m a big fan of Seashore Academy because my daughter simply LOVES coming to school every day. She used to hate her old school and resisted going every day, so we transferred her mid-Spring semester and have never looked back. Best decision ever.
1. Low student-teacher ratio. Because there are 2 teachers covering a maximum of 14 students at any one time (yes, you read that correctly), my daughter gets plenty of one-on-one instruction and support from her teachers. At her old private Mandarin immersion preschool, they charged a lot more for tuition and had a much higher student-teacher ratio (26 students to 1 head teacher and 2 floating assistants who babysat more than taught). This crowded situation resulted in my kid disengaging in school. At Seashore, she is so engaged because her teachers know her well and can personalize her lessons according to her skill level, needs and learning style. This is so important for kids because they all learn so differently and at different rates.
2. Personalized learning. Again, because Seashore doesn’t teach to a test or need to approach education from a
3. No homework!! I’m
4. Classroom culture is warm, inclusive and supportive. Because Seashore maintains a mixed age classroom environment, my
5. Solid curriculum – Seashore is a trilingual program: 70% Mandarin, 20% English and 10% Spanish. I love this aspect of my child’s education. However, it should be noted that while my child’s Chinese development has grown tremendously, I think her English progression (esp.
6. Leadership that values personal growth in students. Marlene Dandler, the founder and leader of Seashore, strives to give students the most opportunity to excel academically as well as to develop personal interests outside of school. She is also very thoughtful in terms of 1) setting up the school so that parents can easily take advantage of charter school funding and support and 2) providing next step options when students graduate from Seashore but would like to continue Mandarin immersion and personalized learning throughout middle and high school. Creating this school from
All in all, we are very happy at this school. Thank